Are you facing a common home problem of trying to figure out where to hide your furnace in the middle of your basement? Setting up and protecting the furnace from damage can be difficult with limited space. But worry not! There are plenty of ways that you can make use of this area to suitably conceal your furnace while still ensuring it runs efficiently and safely.
In this blog post, we’ll provide all kinds of tips for how to hide furnace in middle of basement without sacrificing aesthetics or performance. From quality covers and cleverly disguised furniture pieces to unique decor items, you may never have thought about using before.
Keep reading for step-by-step instructions on transforming your neglected area into a functional living space.
What Will You Need?
Before getting started, gathering all the necessary supplies for hiding a furnace in the middle of your basement is important. Some of the items you will need are:
1. Furnace Cover: This is one of the essential components when it comes to hiding a furnace. A good quality cover should be made from strong materials that are both durable and aesthetically pleasing.
2. Furniture: Furniture is a must to create a space where the furnace can blend in with its surroundings! Whether it’s an old dresser or a vintage armoire, choose pieces that complement the overall look of your home and put them around the furnace.
3. Decorative Items: To add a personal touch to the area, consider adding decorative items such as throw pillows, blankets, and paintings onto nearby walls or furniture. This will help draw attention away from the furnace itself and create an inviting atmosphere for all who enter.
10 Easy Steps on How to Hide Furnace in Middle of Basement
Once you have gathered all the necessary materials, follow these simple steps to get started.
1. Measure Out the Area:
To accurately hide a furnace in the middle of your basement, measuring the exact size and shape of the space that needs to be covered first is important. This will help you find furniture pieces or decorative items that fit within its boundaries without looking too cramped or cluttered. Additionally, by measuring, you’ll be able to accurately determine the size of cover needed to conceal the furnace appropriately.
2. Install a Quality Cover:
Select a furnace cover that is made from thick and durable materials such as metal or plastic for maximum protection against dirt and dust buildup. Make sure it fits securely around the exterior of your unit so it won’t slip off easily during use. If possible, it’s a good idea to paint the cover in a color that complements your basement aesthetic.
3. Place Furniture Around the Unit:
Choose furniture pieces that can easily hide the furnace while still providing a comfortable seating and storage area. For example, an old dresser or armoire works great for this purpose, providing both form and function in one stylish package. Don’t forget to measure the items you’re considering so they fit correctly within the space.
4. Add Decorative Items:
Place decorative items such as throw pillows, blankets, and framed artwork onto furniture pieces or walls near the hidden furnace to draw attention away from it. This will add warmth and comfort to the space without removing its overall aesthetic appeal. You can also hang up curtains or blinds on nearby windows to provide privacy and extra insulation.
5. Consider Lighting:
Adding lighting around the hidden space can help create an inviting atmosphere for anyone who comes into your basement. Not only does it make the area feel more open and inviting, but it will also help keep the furnace safe from damage. Add a few floor lamps or even some wall sconces to help brighten up the area.
6. Add Storage:
Installing shelves or cabinets around the hidden furnace can create additional storage space without taking away from its performance or safety. This is perfect for storing items that you don’t want to clutter up other areas of your home, such as cleaning supplies or extra linens. Be careful not to overload the shelves since this could cause them to weaken and shift over time.
7. Use Mirrors:
Hanging a large mirror on one wall near the hidden furnace can effectively draw attention away from it while still adding some style to the space. It can also make the area look larger than it actually is, which is always a plus! So, consider adding a large mirror to your hidden space to give it an extra boost of visual appeal.
8. Install Curtains:
Adding curtains around the hidden furnace can help create a cozy and inviting atmosphere for anyone who visits your home. Plus, it will also provide some extra insulation to help protect against drafts or heat loss during colder months.
9. Add Plants:
Plants are an easy and inexpensive way to spruce up any area of your home. Place potted plants near the hidden furnace to add life and color to the space without taking away from its overall performance.
10. Create a Seating Area:
Creating a seating area near the hidden furnace is perfect for entertaining guests or just relaxing after a long day at work. Choose comfortable chairs and couches that fit within the designated area, and make sure that the furniture pieces are not blocking off any vents or intakes.
Following these simple steps will help you easily hide a furnace in the middle of your basement for maximum efficiency and safety. With just a little effort, you can create an inviting atmosphere for all who visit while still keeping the unit out of sight.
5 Additional Tips and Tricks
1. Consider using a false wall to cover the furnace. To do this, you’ll need to build or buy a wall structure that is large enough to fit the furnace. Position the wall so that it completely covers the furnace, and use some kind of sturdy adhesive to adhere it to the walls of your basement.
2. Place shelving or cabinets around the furnace if possible. This will help disguise it even more and add extra storage space in your basement.
3. Use decors such as rugs, throws, artwork, and other wall decorations further to conceal the furnace in the middle of the basement.
4. Consider painting the area around the furnace to match your overall basement color scheme and make it blend in with its surroundings better.
5. If you have access to tools and supplies, build a custom structure around your furnace to store items like laundry detergent, cleaning supplies, tools, and more. This will help not only to hide the furnace but also provide additional useful storage space.
By utilizing these methods, you can easily hide a furnace in the middle of your basement! With some creativity and effort, your furnace can go unnoticed while still providing efficient heating for your home.
5 Things You Should Avoid
1. Don’t try to cover the furnace with furniture or heavy objects. This may be unsafe and could even cause a fire hazard if the items block air vents.
2. Don’t use anything flammable such as cloths, curtains, rugs, or other fabrics, to attempt to hide the furnace in your basement – these materials are highly combustible and can easily catch on fire if they come too close to the heat source.
3. Avoid painting the area around the furnace yourself if you don’t have experience with this type of work – it’s best to hire a professional painter experienced in this area who knows how to paint near an appliance like that properly.
4. Don’t forget about safety features such as carbon monoxide detectors, smoke alarms, and other alarm systems – these should be in place if your furnace is hidden from view.
5. Don’t forget to regularly inspect the area around the furnace for any signs of damage or wear and tear. This is important because it allows you to immediately fix any issues before they become bigger problems down the line.
By following these tips, you can ensure that hiding a furnace in the middle of the basement is done safely and efficiently! With some patience and effort, your furnace will be out of sight while still providing efficient heating for your home.
Hiding your furnace in the middle of your basement may seem impossible, but with a little ingenuity and creativity, it can be done. From finding a large piece of furniture to encase your furnace in or changing the arrangement of existing appliances, there are many ways to ensure that your furnace stays out of sight.
Not only does this help to improve the aesthetic value of your basement, but it will also give you peace of mind knowing that your heater is kept safe from any potential hazards. With this newfound knowledge, you’re now prepared to create the perfect hidden furnace setup in no time at all!
Hopefully, the article on how to hide furnace in middle of basement has been helpful and informative. Good luck!