Are you looking for a way to give your home’s exterior an update? Painting Bilco doors is a great way to freshen up and revitalize their appearance. Not only will repainting the door frame and hardware create an instant facelift, but it can help better protect the door from weather-related wear and tear.
But don’t worry if you’ve never painted a Bilco door before — this blog post will provide an easy-to-follow guide on how to paint bilco doors yourself! From preparing the surface all the way through to adding finishing touches, we’ll have all the details covered so that you can complete this project with ease. Read on for step-by-step instructions!
What Is Bilco Door?
Bilco doors are cellar doors typically found on the outside of homes. They provide easy access to basements, crawl spaces, and other areas that may be difficult to reach with a standard door. Bilco doors are made from steel or aluminum — both of which require specific prep work before painting. As this is made of metal, it is important to note that rust can become an issue if the door is not properly cared for.
Before You Begin Painting
Before you start painting your Bilco door, there are a few steps you should take to ensure a successful and long-lasting paint job. First, thoroughly clean the door frame and hardware using soap and water. This will help remove any dirt, debris, and built-up grime that could potentially interfere with the paint adhesion.
Next, sand down any existing chipped or peeling paint on the door frame and hardware. Use a medium grit sandpaper to lightly scuff up the surface before you start painting — this will help your new paint job last longer.
Finally, make sure to protect any surrounding areas that you don’t want painting with a drop cloth or painter’s tape. This will help keep any stray paint off of the ground and other surfaces in your home.
10 Steps for How To Paint Bilco Doors
Once you have prepped and protected the area, you are ready to start painting your Bilco door! When it comes time to actually paint your Bilco door, you will want to make sure that you use a high-quality metal primer suited for outdoor use. This type of primer helps protect the surface from rust and moisture.
Step 1: Prepare the Surface
Prepare the surface by thoroughly cleaning the door frame and hardware with soap and water. Cleaning is essential as it will help remove any debris, dirt, and built-up grime that could interfere with the paint adhesion.
Step 2: Sand Down Any Existing Paint
Next, use medium grit sandpaper to lightly scuff up any existing peeling or chipped paint on the door frame and hardware. This will help your new coat of paint adhere and last longer.
Step 3: Cover Any Surrounding Areas
Make sure to cover any surrounding areas that you don’t want to be painted with a drop cloth or painter’s tape. This will help keep any stray paint off the ground and other surfaces in your home.
Step 4: Apply A High-Quality Metal Primer
Before you start painting your Bilco door, make sure to use a primer suited for outdoor use. This type of primer helps protect the surface from rust and moisture.
Step 5: Apply Paint to the Door Frame
Start by applying a coat of paint to the door frame. Use an angled brush to reach any hard-to-reach places.
Step 6: Apply Paint to The Hardware
Once the door frame has been painted, move on to the hardware. Use a smaller brush for more detailed areas, like hinges and locksets.
Step 7: Let the First Coat Dry Completely
Allow your first coat of paint to dry completely before moving on to the next step. Depending on the type of paint you are using, this could take a few hours or up to 24 hours.
Step 8: Apply a Second Coat of Paint
Once the first coat has dried, apply a second coat of paint in an even layer. Again, make sure that all areas are covered completely.
Step 9: Let Dry
Allow the second coat of paint to dry completely before moving on. If you are using a water-based paint, this could take up to 48 hours.
Step 10: Add a Clear Coat for Protection
Once your Bilco door is fully dried, consider applying a clear coat layer for extra protection. This will help make your paint job last longer, no matter the weather conditions.
Now that you’ve completed these 10 steps for How to Paint Bilco Doors, you can enjoy a freshly painted door frame and hardware!
10 Safety Measures to Follow
- Wear safety goggles while painting Bilco Doors. Wearing protectives will minimize the risks of paint fumes, splatters, and flying particles.
- Wear a respirator mask to protect yourself from toxic fumes generated during painting.
- Cover your hands with gloves while handling chemical solutions or applying products to your Bilco Doors.
- Make sure that you work in a well-ventilated area.
- Do not leave your Bilco Doors exposed to direct sunlight as this may cause bubbling of the paint.
- Use a drop cloth to cover and protect the surrounding area from dripping paint or other chemicals used on the Bilco Doors.
- Avoid painting in windy conditions, as it can lead to uneven application of paint and lead to the distribution of toxic fumes.
- Before starting your project, ensure that you have all the necessary supplies like paintbrushes, rollers, buckets, and other painting tools in order to avoid any last-minute rushes for purchasing materials.
- Test a small section before painting the entire Bilco Door with a particular color to ensure the desired outcome.
- After painting, make sure to properly dispose of any leftover paint or chemical solutions in an eco-friendly manner. Furthermore, it is recommended to store all unused cans of paint for future projects in a dry and cool place.
Following these safety measures will guarantee that your Bilco Door painting project will be completed safely and successfully.
10 Maintenance Tips to Make the Paint Last Longer
- Ensure the Bilco Door is clean and free of dirt, debris, and grime before painting. Paint on a dirty surface will not adhere correctly.
- Choose a high-quality, oil-based primer to provide a great foundation for the paint color of your choice.
- Apply two coats of primer and allow it to dry completely before beginning to paint with the chosen color.
- Use quality exterior paint designed specifically for metal surfaces like Bilco Doors.
- For a professional look, use an airless sprayer to apply the paint in thin coats.
- If you’re using a brush or roller, apply the paint in long strokes and allow each coat to dry before adding another coat.
- Don’t forget to paint any exposed edges of Bilco Doors, including the top and sides.
- Protect the paint job by applying a layer of polyurethane sealer over the dried paint color.
- Keep an eye on your Bilco Door for any signs of wear or fading, and touch up with a fresh coat of paint as needed.
- Regularly clean the Bilco Door to remove dirt and grime and keep the paint looking its best.
By following these tips, you can keep your Bilco Door looking great with a beautiful coat of paint that will last for years.
Cost of Painting Bilco Doors
Though the cost of painting a Bilco Door will depend on the size and condition of the door, it’s generally not an expensive project. A basic paint job for a Bilco Door typically costs between $100 to $200, depending on the tools and materials used. This can be completed in one day or two, so you won’t have to spend too much time or money on it. Additionally, the cost of painting a Bilco Door will be far less than replacing the entire door, which can range from $800 to over a thousand dollars.
With proper maintenance and care, you can keep your Bilco Door looking great with a fresh coat of paint for many years. Be sure to follow the tips outlined above for how to paint Bilco Doors, and you’ll have a beautiful door that will last for years to come.
Although it may seem daunting, painting your Bilco doors is a relatively easy process that can be completed in a few short hours. You should not be worried about the cost as it is fairly inexpensive. With proper maintenance and care, you can keep your Bilco Doors looking great with a fresh coat of paint for years to come.
Following the tips above on how to paint bilco doors and taking into account cost, painting your Bilco Door is an economically smart decision that adds value and beauty to your home.
No matter what type of door you choose for your home, proper maintenance will help it last longer. Plus, painting is a great way to personalize your space and make it truly yours. So what are you waiting for? Grab some paint and get to work!